Welcome to the City of Elkton, TN

Home   |   Helpful Links   |   Shop Local   |   History   |   Local Weather   |   Contact Us

Social Media

Elkton History

The first permanent white settlement in Giles county was in 1808 on the Elk River at the mouth of Richland Creek. William Price cleared trees and canebrakes to lay off a town and then sold lots. Early settlers helped each other build log homes and the settlement grew to a successful shipping point. This settlement was known as Elkton or Elkville.

Due to nature's shifting of the riverbed the shipping point was moved two miles upriver to a more advantageous point. This new settlement was known as upper Elkton while the original settlement was known as lower Elkton. Upper Elkton began to grow and flourish as businesses were established and the town became a major riverboat stop. 

Located near a major stagecoach route connecting Nashville to Athens and Huntsville Alabama the river town prospered and by the early 1880's Elkton boasted four dry goods and grocery stores, a hotel, two blacksmith shops, a drugstore, a bank, doctors, a female academy and many mills and gins.

The great flood of 1902 destroyed many of the fine homes, churches and buildings that were built in the flourishing community. What was once considered a promising location for the county seat was virtually devastated overnight.

Although Elkton never fully recovered from the great flood of 1902 its transformation over the years has elevated it into the quiet farming, ranching and family friendly community it is known as today.

For a more detailed view of Elkton's history  please visit the Elkton Historical Society's website.

Click each image below to view a larger version.

Elkton 1909 Original Elkton Bridge
Elkton High School Elkton Elementary School 1906
Elkton High School 1940 1929 Elkton (Rosenwald) School
High School Building Elementary Building